Canada’s most popular destination for newcomers, Ontario is the country’s most populous province, home more than 13,650,000 people. It is also the second-largest province in the country by land area. Ontario’s capital city is Toronto, whose 6 million people make it Canada’s largest and most populous city. However, the lack of human resources is becoming a hotly-debated issue in Ontario. This is the reason why the government always creates new opportunities for foreigners to find jobs in Ontario.
Cost of living in Ontario
Ontario has a reputation for having high costs of living, but their salaries and the minimum wage of $11 are some of the highest in the country. Known for cleanliness, safety and an abundance of quality public services, it is no wonder that more than half of immigrants to Canada choose Ontario. Though Ontario has high taxes and living costs, their high salaries ensure that residents enjoy one of the highest quality of life rankings in the world. Therefore, most people believe that finding jobs in Ontario would lead to an opportunity to change their life.
Ontario High-Demand Occupations List
The list contains high demanding jobs and the candidates are selected on their obtained point. The most important thing to note here is, OINP will be targeting a list of in-demand trades but there will be no limit for issuing the Notification of Interest (NOI). Thanks to this list, you can know which jobs in Ontario are lack of human resources.
The occupations can be easily found by its National Occupational Classification (NOC).
- Telecommunication Carriers Managers (NOC 0131)
- Computer and Information Systems Managers (NOC 0213)
- Electrical and Electronics Engineers (NOC 2133)
- Computer Engineers (Except Software Engineers and Designers) (NOC 2147)
- Information Systems Analysts and Consultants (NOC 2171)
- Database Analysts and Data Administrators (NOC 2172)
- Software Engineers and Designers (NOC 2173)
- Computer Programmers and Interactive Media Developers (NOC 2174)
- Web Designers and Developers (NOC 2175)
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering Technologists and Technicians (NOC 2241)
- User Support Technicians (NOC 2282)
- Systems Testing Technicians (NOC 2283)
- Broadcast Technicians (NOC 5224)
- Graphic Designers and Illustrators (NOC 5241)
- Computer Network Technicians (NOC 2281)
Employer Job Offer: In-Demand Skills Stream.
Moreover, the government also provides some immigration programs for foreign workers to live here permanently such as In-Demand Skills Stream.
The Employer Job Offer: In-Demand Skills Stream is an immigration stream under the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program. It gives foreign workers with a job offer in specific in-demand occupations, such as in agriculture, construction, trucking or personal support work, the opportunity to apply to permanently live and work in Ontario. This stream is open to foreign workers in and outside of Canada. You must apply online to be nominated by the Ontario government for permanent residence.
The position offered must be in one of the following occupations in National Occupation Classification (NOC) Skill Level C or D:
- NOC 3413 – nurse aides, orderlies, and patient service associates
- NOC 4412 – home support workers and related occupations, excluding housekeepers
- NOC 7441 – residential and commercial installers and servicers
- NOC 7511 – transport truck drivers
- NOC 7521 – heavy equipment operators (except crane)
- NOC 7611 – construction trades helpers and laborers
- NOC 8431 – general farmworkers
- NOC 8432 – nursery and greenhouse workers
- NOC 8611 – harvesting laborers
- NOC 9462 – industrial butchers and meat cutters, poultry preparers and related workers
For more detail, you can find out here.
Median wage level
The pay of the job offered in this program must meet or be higher than the median wage level, for that occupation, in the specific region of Ontario where you will be working. Refer to the Employer’s Guide for steps on how to find the median wage level. If you are already working in the position, the wage of the job offer must be equal to or greater than the wage level that the employer currently pays you in that position, in addition to meeting or exceeding the median wage level. This can ensure that you have the ability to earn money for you and your family to settle here.
These wage requirements do not apply if you have a collective agreement (a written contract between the employer and a union), in your workplace, that determines your wages.canada immigrationhow to immigrate to Canadahow to immigrate to ontarioimmigration to CanadaIn-Demand Skills Streamjobs in OntarioLife in OntarioOccupation in Demand StreamOntario Immigrant Nominee Programontario immigrationThe Employer Job Offer Stream