Sponsor your parents and grandparents

Sponsor your parents and grandparents

November 8, 2019

What is the Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP)

Many Canadian Permanent residents and citizens wish to sponsor their beloved family to immigrate to Canada. The Parents and Grandparents Program is a way for this dream.

Each year, the program will open its interest registration for a limited time. The potential sponsor needs to understand the eligibility and responsibilities of them as well as their sponsored persons to have a well-prepared application since this is a very competitive program. In 2019, the Interest to sponsor form accepted of 27,000 submissions on a first basis though the program cap is only 20,000 applications. To catch up with the next open date in 2020 of the program, be cautious and keep you up-to-date with the new announcement on the CIC website

Sponsor Requirements:

To be a sponsor, you (and your co-signer) must first meet the basic criteria

In a specific description, you need to take notice in these points from the criteria:

1. Live in Canada:

Your primary residential address must be in Canada when you submit your application to sponsor your parents and/or grandparents and until we make the decision about your sponsored persons permanent residency.

2. Permanent resident status

Only a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act can be eligible as a sponsor. Temporary residency which means that you are visiting, studying or working in Canada on a visa or permit will not be accepted by the IRCC.

3. Have enough money to support the persons you want to sponsor

As the sponsor, you (and your co-signer, if applicable) must prove financial capability to support all the persons you’ll sponsor, including yourself, once you become a sponsor. If your family size increases because of a birth or adoption while your application is being processed, the income requirements you need to meet may also change.

You must promise to financially take care of the persons you are sponsoring for a period of time called undertaking. The undertaking commits you to:

  • Providing financial support for your sponsored family members for 20 years, starting when they become permanent residents
  • Repaying any provincial social assistance (money from the government) your sponsored family members get during that time

Also, you and your sponsored family members need to agree to a sponsorship agreement. The sponsorship agreement means that:

  • You’ll provide for the basic needs of your sponsored family members includes: food, clothing, utilities, personal requirements, shelter, fuel, household supplies, eyes and dental care (if needed)
  • The person you sponsor will make every effort to support themselves and their family members

When you apply, you’ll have to complete and sign a form that includes the undertaking and the sponsorship agreement. 

If you’re invited to apply, you’ll have to provide proof that you meet the income requirements for each of the 3 taxation years right before the date of your application and Notice of Assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for those 3 years. 

The threshold for the closest 3 taxation years are in this list below, it will vary based on your family size (the currency is Canadian Dollar):


  • 2 persons: $40,379
  • 3 persons: $49,641
  • 4 persons: $60,271
  • 5 persons: $68,358
  • 6 persons: $77,095
  • 7 persons: $85,835
  • Over 7 persons, for each additional person, add: $8,740


  • 2 persons: $39,813
  • 3 persons: $48,945
  • 4 persons: $59,426
  • 5 persons: $67,400
  • 6 persons: $76,015
  • 7 persons: $84,631
  • Over 7 persons, for each additional person, add: $8,616


  • 2 persons: $39,372
  • 3 persons: $48,404
  • 4 persons: $58,768
  • 5 persons: $66,654
  • 6 persons: $75,174
  • 7 persons: $83,695
  • Over 7 persons, for each additional person, add: $8,521

The threshold will be updated after every new taxation year. If you want to check the latest year prior to the time you submit the application, you can check the figure in the link below.

Requirements for applicants live in Quebec

The government of Quebec is responsible for determining whether or not sponsors living in the province have the financial ability to sponsor family members and also the length of their undertaking.

1. Financial Capacity:

These lists below show you the requirement of the Quebec ministry which comes in effect from January 1st to December 31st, 2019 (The currency is Canadian Dollar)

The income requirement for the sponsor’s family unit basic needs:

  • 1 person: $23,855
  • 2 persons: $32,241
  • 3 persons: $39,806
  • 4 persons: $45,782
  • 5 persons: $50,953
  • 6 or over, each additional dependent add: $5,171

The additional income requirement for the sponsor to support the sponsored’s family unit with 1 person over 18 years old based on the number of dependents under 18 years of age:

  • No dependent: $17,470 
  • 1 dependents: $23,472
  • 2 dependents: $25,504
  • 3 or over, an additional dependent add: $3,030 

The additional income requirement for the sponsor to support the sponsored’s family unit with 2 people over 18 years old based on the number of dependents under 18 years of age:

  • No dependent: $25,619 
  • 1 dependents: $28,698
  • 2 dependents: $30,982
  • 3 or over, an additional dependent under 18 years old add: $2,274
  • An additional dependent over 18 years old add: $8,145

This is just the figure of 2019 if you want to check the latest threshold in your submitting year you can check in the link below:

2. Sponsor’s responsibilities

To the sponsored person

  • Provide for their basic needs (food, clothing, personal necessities, and housing costs) for the entire duration of the undertaking agreement. The duration of the undertaking is 10 years. If there are dependent children in your sponsorship, their age affects the undertaking time:
    • If your dependent child is less than 22 years of age when they become a permanent resident, you are financially responsible for them for 10 years after they become a permanent resident, or until they turn 25 years old, whichever comes first.
    • If your dependent child is 22 years of age or older when they become a permanent resident, you are financially responsible for them for three years after they become a permanent resident.
  • Ensure that the sponsored persons are not a financial burden on the host society.
  • Have the responsibility to provide the sponsored person with all the information necessary to facilitate his or her settlement in Québec.

To the government

If the person you sponsored or an accompanying family member uses government assistance in the form of last-resort financial assistance (social assistance) or special allowances (e.g., for glasses, dental care, hearing aids), you are legally required to repay these amounts. You may also be required to reimburse significant housing costs if the sponsored person is housed, for example, in a public long-term care facility.

3. Sponsored’s responsibilities

To the sponsor

You must inform your sponsor:

  • How your basic needs are being met and of any change of address.
  • Steps you take to obtain financial aid, particularly government assistance.


Failed to meet any of the criteria above and if you are under one of the circumstances in this list would make you ineligible:

  • You are in jail, prison, or penitentiary
  • You didn’t pay back: your immigration loan, performance bond or your court-ordered family support payments such as alimony or child support (Not apply if you live in Quebec)
  • Didn’t give the financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor someone else in the past (Not apply if you live in Quebec)
  • Declared bankruptcy and are not discharged (Not apply if you live in Quebec)
  • Receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability
  • Were convicted of a violent criminal offense, an offense against a relative or any sexual offense inside or outside Canada
  • Can’t legally stay in Canada and must leave the country because you received a Removal Order

Sponsored Requirements:

You can sponsor your own parents and grandparents related by blood or adoption and their dependents. You may sponsor their dependents if you meet the income requirements for all the people you want to sponsor and their dependents. However, you will need to submit separate applications when sponsoring divorced parents or grandparents.

You can’t sponsor your spouse’s parents and grandparents (your in-laws) and anyone who is inadmissible to Canada. However, you can be a co-signer on your in-laws’ sponsorship application.

A dependent child, according to the definition of the IRCC, is:

  • Under 22 years old, and
  • Don’t have a spouse or common-law partner

In case they are 22 years or older, they must prove that they have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22, and are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition

Documents checklist

The interest to Sponsor form: available only during the opening time

The application (if you are invited): These form must be completed, signed and submitted

By the Sponsor:

If applicable to the following:

By the Principal Applicant:

If applicable to the following:

During assessing the application, the IRCC may require the applicants to submit these documents:

  • Medical exams
  • Biometrics
  • Police Certificates

.After opening the link, you properly can’t see the content because your PDF Reader is not the latest Adobe Reader version. The solution is you need to download the file from the link then install the latest version of Adobe Reader. Finally, open the file on your computer to see the whole content.

Documents which is not in English or French must have the English or French translation, an affidavit from a notary public to affirm the accuracy of the translated documents and the language proficiency of the translator. Also, a certified copy of each original document must be submitted along.

To make sure that your form is not outdated, the IRCC advises you to not prepare your application before you are invited.


The path toward living legally with your parents and/or grandparents has steps:

Step 1: Gather the Document and submit the Interest to Sponsor form

Step 2: Complete the application

Step 3: Pay the fee

Step 4: Submit the application

Now we will move on the details:

Step 1: Gather the Document submit the Interest to Sponsor form

A copy status in Canada document must be submitted with your interest to sponsor form and be included with your application to sponsor your parents and grandparents. Acceptable status in Canada documents include:

  • Permanent Resident Card (both sides)
  • Record of Landing (IMM 1000) (only if you didn’t get a PR Card)
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688)
  • Canadian Citizenship Certificate or card (both sides)
  • Canadian birth certificate
  • If you were born in Quebec, we’ll only accept a birth certificate from the Directeur de l’État civil.
  • Canadian passport (pages showing passport number, date of issue and expiration, photo, name, surname, place, and date of birth)
  • Secure certificate of Indian status

The interest to sponsor form is the first step to sponsor your parents or grandparents. After receiving enough forms, the portal of the IRCC will be automatically closed but they may open it again if they need more potential sponsors. You can update with their announcement via Twitter and Facebook pages. IRCC says the Interest to Sponsor form should only take about 10 minutes to complete if you have all the necessary information and documents ready to go.

If you have successfully submitted it, you will see a page with a confirmation number for your records. You can use this to check your invitation. An email will be sent by the IRCC to confirm that they have received your form. Modify is not possible after submission so makes sure you have to fill out the form precisely. In case you need to update your email address, send your new email address to Include the following information in the email:

  • Confirmation number
  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Country of birth

You should continue to check the former email address before the change is made Invitation for potential sponsors will be sent through the email account on the Interest to sponsor form. 

Step 2: Complete the application

If you’re invited to apply to sponsor your parents and grandparents, there are 2 applications:

  • Sponsor application
  • Permanent residence application of your parents or grandparents.

Send both the sponsorship and the permanent residence applications together at the same time. The application package must be received by the IRCC after 60 days from the date of your invitation. The deadline will be clearly indicated in your invitation to apply.

The information that you put on your sponsorship application must match the information on your interest to sponsor form, including the status in Canada document. So in cases, you have changes that you need to match with your application, you must include a letter to explain any changes and the proof of changes.

You should complete all the sections on the forms. If the section does not apply to you, write “Not Applicable” or “N/A”. You should follow the instructions in the document checklist because missing information in forms or documents will result in a return for your application. If you need more space for any section, print out an additional page containing the appropriate section, complete it and submit it along with your application.

For the IMM 1344 and IMM 0008 forms

  • Click the “Validate” button at the top or bottom of the form
  • The last page with barcodes and a signature line will automatically be created.
  • Print, sign, and date the form.
  • For best results: print on white, bond-quality, non-glossy paper and use a laser printer.
  • Place the barcode page on top of your package. If you have more than one package, place a separate barcode page on each one.

In the PR application form

Once the application is completed, click on the “Validate” button located at the top or bottom of the form. This will generate a barcode page or pages. Print all pages of the application form and sign a handwritten signature. Place the barcode page(s) on the top of your application (forms and supporting documents) when you submit it.

For the application form of permanent residence, you must list all your family members even if they are not coming to Canada. You can prepare the application for your parents and grandparents but you have to request for permission and provide the right forms with your application. By doing this, you will act as their representative and communicate with the IRCC on their behalf. To become your parents’ and grandparents’ representative, complete, sign and save the form to appoint or change a representative. The persons you’re sponsoring must also sign to form. Include it with your application.

Step 3: Pay the fee

The cost will be varied depends on the number of applicants, other third party fees including medical exams, police certificate,…

You can calculate to see the total amount of fee that needs to be paid. The right of permanent residence fee can pay it later (before you become a permanent resident) but IRCC suggests you pay along with the processing fee to avoid delays.

  • Processing fee for you/your spouse or partner: $550 CAD 
  • Right of permanent residence fee: $490 CAD
  • Dependent Child: $150 CAD
  • Biometric fees: $85 CAD/person and $170 CAD for a family from 2 person

To pay your fees for your application you’ll need a valid email address; access to a printer (you’ll need to print the receipt), and a credit card or Canadian debit card.

Visit the link below and follow these instructions to pay:

  • Go to Online Payment.
  • Follow the online instructions.
  • In the end, click on the print button to print the IRCC official receipt with a barcode. Print two copies.
  • Attach a copy of this receipt to your completed application.
  • Keep the second copy of the receipt for your records.

For the applicant in Quebec, you must pay undertaking application fee after your application in the IRCC has been assessed as admissible and you received an invitation to continue the process (fee will be updated in January each year). As of January 1, 2019, you must allow $284 CAD for the principal sponsored person and $114 CAD for each additional person. If you are only sponsoring minor children, and if you must complete a sponsorship application for each child, you will pay $284 CAD for the first sponsored child, and $114 CAD for each additional child.

To pay the fee you have 2 options:

Clearly indicate the amount to be paid on the form, sign it and enclose it with your application, otherwise it will be returned to you. If your credit card payment is declined, the Ministère will not contact you to advise you of the refusal and your entire file will be returned to you by regular mail.

  • Canada Post money order, Bank draft drawn on a Canadian bank, Certified cheque drawn on a Canadian bank, Cheque issued by a currency exchange broker

Cheques and bank drafts must be made payable to the Minister of Finance of Québec and must be mailed with your file to the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration. Be sure to print the name of the applicant in block letters on the back of the cheque. Payment in cash, by personal cheque or by traveler’s cheque is not accepted.

Step 4: Submit the application

The IRCC won’t accept multiple applications in one package. If you’re sending more than 1 application, package them individually. Put all your forms (include the document checklist, receipt and all supporting documents in an envelope. Don’t hand-deliver your application.

Send the application package by mail or courier to:


PO Box 8020, STN T CSC

Ottawa, ON

K1G 3H6

Make sure that you have clicked the validated button on the Generic Application Form for Canada IMM 0008 before printing. Print all the pages, including the barcode page. The documents checklist must be attached to the application as well.

After you have submitted the application, if there is any change in your information or family, you need to inform the IRCC with that. You will also receive a biometric instruction letter to let you know where to do the biometrics and submit it later. Police certificates for parents and grandparents’ applications are not required at the time you submit your completed application. Police certificates will be requested by the processing office for the person being sponsored and each family member 18 or older (who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents) later in the application process

Step 5: After the application 

You must tell the IRCC of any change in circumstances, such as:

  • Birth or adoption of children
  • Marriage or divorce
  • Death of an applicant or dependant

You can update your information by sending us a request through our Web form.

If you have been refused the sponsor role, you can choose to continue processing the application for permanent residence for your family members.

  • If you choose to withdraw your application, you won’t get the $75 CAN sponsorship fee back. You’ll get all the other fees back.
  • If you continue processing, you won’t get any fees back.

If your parents or grandparents PR applications are approved, to finish processing their application, your parents and grandparents, and their dependents who are immigrating to Canada with them, will have to send: 

  • Their passports, or photocopies of their passports (we’ll let you know which one they should send)
  • 2 photos

The IRCC will inform where to send this information. Once they have it and have finished processing their application, the applicants will receive:

  • A document confirming they have been approved to become Canadian permanent residents called the Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR).
  • A permanent resident visa, if the persons you’re sponsoring are from countries whose citizens need a visa to travel to Canada.

For Quebec applicants

If IRCC finds your sponsorship application is eligible, you will be invited to continue the process by submitting an undertaking application to Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI). The Case Processing Centre (CPC) will send the sponsor a letter with instructions to download the MIFI undertaking kit. Complete and submit it with a copy of the letter from the CPC. Prepare your undertaking application in advance, including the application for the sponsored person’s selection certificate and all the required documents, so that you are ready to send it to MIFI as soon as you receive an invitation from IRCC to continue the process.

Before submitting your undertaking application to the Government of Québec, the person you are sponsoring must complete and sign the Demande de sélection Permanente – Catégorie du regroupement familial (Application for permanent selection – Family reunification class) form and return it to you promptly. You must enclose this form with your undertaking application. The Government of Québec prepares a Sponsorer’s Guide (In French only), you can check it for more information.

Using the guides and forms in Kit B to apply. You must download and fill out all the forms in French. 

Submit the application to this address

Direction du registrar de la francization

Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration

1200, boulevard Saint-Laurent, bureau 2.200

Montréal (Québec)  H2X 0C9


Processing time

Once your application has been received, you can check the status online. The average processing time for the Parents and Grandparents program is 20 – 24 months from the point the application is received to when IRCC makes a decision. Delay may happen if you need to have additional background checks or have changes in your family situation. Sponsors can check the status of their application by using the online tool.

When your sponsored family members arrive at the port of entry to Canada, they must show the border services officer their:

  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence
  • Valid passport or travel document
  • Permanent resident visa (if applicable), which must be valid
  • Quebec Selection Certificate, if they’re going to live in Quebec
  • Any other document we issued to you and told you to bring with you

If your family members are already in Canada, they’ll have a landing interview with an immigration officer to receive their permanent residence. Instructions about what documents to bring with them and the time and place of their interview will be informed.

Super Visa:

For applicant have failed to become a sponsor, IRCC allows parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to enjoy extended visits to Canada under the Super Visa program. With a Super Visa, a person may be approved to remain in Canada for up to two years upon initial entry to Canada. The visa itself is valid for up to 10 years, so holders may return to Canada for as long as the visa remains valid. However, this visa is only a temporary visa and you can not include any dependents in the application.

1. Eligibility:

  • Be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
  • Have a signed letter from your child or grandchild who invites you to Canada that includes: 
    • A promise of financial support for the length of your visit
    • The list and number of people in the household of this person
    • A copy of this person’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
  • Have medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that is valid for at least 1 year from the date of entry with at least $100,000 coverage
  • Have proof that the medical insurance has been paid (quotes aren’t accepted)
  • Apply for a super visa from outside Canada
  • Be admissible to enter Canada
  • Take an immigration medical exam
  • Meet certain other conditions

The financial support proof

Your child or grandchild must prove that their household meets the minimum necessary income based on the following list (the currency is CAD):

1 person (your child or grandchild): $25,338

2 persons: $31,544

3 persons: $38,780

4 persons: $47,084

5 persons: $53,402

6 persons: $60,228

7 persons: $67,055

More than 7 persons, for each additional person, add $6,827

The following documents are examples of what can be used as proof of funds:

  • Notice of Assessment (NOA) or T4/T1 for the most recent tax year
  • Employment Insurance stubs
  • Employment letter including salary and date of hire
  • Pay stubs
  • Bank statements

Meet certain other conditions when the IRCC assesses these aspects:

  • Your ties to your home country
  • The purpose of your visit
  • Your family and finances
  • The overall economic and political stability of your home country

2. How to apply

You can apply it online or through the nearest visa application center around you

3. Fee and processing time

The fee for the super visa is $100 CAD. In most cases, you need to give biometrics if you’re from a visa-required country. After you pay the biometrics fee and submit your application, you will receive a letter that says you need to give your biometrics. The letter will tell you how and where to give your biometrics. You have up to 30 days to give your biometrics (in person).

If you didn’t pay the biometrics fee, you will receive a letter asking you to do this first. You can only get the instruction letter if you pay the biometrics fee.

The biometrics fee is $85 CAD per person. The processing time will vary differently based on the country


Leave a Reply

Related Stories

November 13, 2019

British Columbia Immigration – Provincial Nominee Programs

January 21, 2020

About CELPIP – What Is This?

October 13, 2019

Atlantic High Skilled Program