Newfoundland and Labrador – International Graduate Stream

Newfoundland and Labrador – International Graduate Stream

October 18, 2019

About Newfoundland and Labrador

Newfoundland and Labrador (NL) is an Eastern province of Canada. Generally, it is a linguistically homogeneous place, in which 97% of the residents use English as their mother tongue. Regarding climate, it has a wide range of climate due to its geography.

The economy of Newfoundland and Labrador is quite developed. In 2017, its GDP is higher than the average GDP, precisely, it ranked third only to Alberta and Saskatchewan out of Canadian provinces. In addition, it concentrates on the services industry such as finance, healthcare or public administration. Besides, other factors like mining, oil production, manufacturing or tourism are outstanding, too. 

The International Graduate Stream

To attract skilled workers to come and work in NL, the Government participate in Provincial Nominee Program. As a result, there are five main streams of this, including Express Entry Skilled Worker, Skilled Worker, International Graduate, International Entrepreneur, and International Graduate Entrepreneur. If you are a fresh graduate who has the Post-Graduate Work Permit plus a job or job offer from an NL employer, you should apply in the International Graduate stream.


1. Background:

  • From 21 to 59 years old.
  • Have the genuine intention to settle in NL.

2. Skilled work experience: 

  • Have the full – time job offer (at least 2 years and can be extended) from an NL employer.
  • Have Post-Graduate Work Permit for at least 6 months.
  • Have enough qualifications (training, skills,..) for the job. 
  • If you graduate from Memorial University or College of the North Atlantic, your job offer does not need to be related to your field of study if it:
    • Requires a post-secondary degree or diploma
    • Under skill level 0, A, B or C of NOC (National Occupation Classification).
    • Can lead to reasonable career promotion
  • If you graduated from an institution outside NL, your job offer must be related to your field of study, and you must have at least one-year working experience before applying.
  • If you have an ownership stake in a business in which they are employed, then the applicant’s share of ownership cannot exceed 10%.

3. Language ability:

No minimum requirements for those who apply under skill level 0, A or B of NOC (National Occupation Classification). Applicants who apply to skill level C must have at least 4 Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB). You can prove your language ability in English or French. 

4. Education:

You have to complete at least half of your studies in Canada.

The degree must be from an eligible publicly-funded Canadian college or university (students must send proof of graduation with their application);

If you study an undergraduate degree, you must complete a minimum of a two-year diploma or degree program on a full-time basis. One-year post-graduate degree programs and certificate programs are also eligible if they required a previous degree or diploma (regardless of whether or not the previous degree or diploma was attained in Canada);

5. Sufficient Funds

You need to prove that you have enough money for you and your family to live in NL, including travel costs. NL authorities do not provide detailed information, but you can depend on the minimum funds required by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the Express Entry program.

The number of family members and the funds required (in Canada dollars): 

  • 1 – $12,669
  • 2 – $15,772
  • 3 – $19,390
  • 4 – $23,542
  • 5 – $26,701
  • 6 – $30,114
  • 7 – $33,528

For each additional family member – $3,414

Besides not meeting the requirements above, you are not eligible for Newfoundland and Labrador Skilled Worker if:

  • You have not completed your studies yet
  • The applicant is a refugee claimant in Canada claiming refugee status from the Government of Canada or the applicant is a failed refugee claimant.
  • You are a student who has studied in Canada under sponsorship from an agency or government that expects you to return to your country of origin once you have graduated;
  • You have intentionally misrepresented yourself in the application.
  • The business or the business relationship with you is suspended.
  • You or any dependent family member over the age of 22 have a criminal record.
  • The applicant has unresolved custody or child support disputes. Applicants must have these issues resolved before starting the immigration application process.

Application Process

You can apply through the online system or you can apply through the paper process.

Online application

If you apply through the online system, click here and follow the instructions.

Paper application

If you apply to the paper process, you will go through these steps:

  • Gathering all the documents and forms required.
  • Applying the application.
  • Getting the nomination and apply for the permanent resident.
  • Informing the authorities after being approved for permanent resident.

Step 1. Gathering documents and forms

You need to fill out all the forms and prepare all the documents listed below:

Step 2. Submitting the application

You send all the completed documents and forms to 

Office of Immigration and Multiculturalism
Advanced Education, Skills and Labour
Confederation Building, West Block
P.O. Box 8700, St. John’s, NL A1B 4J6

Step 3. Getting the nomination and applying for permanent resident

If the application is approved, the applicant will receive a nomination. The Federal forms will be returned to you so that you can apply for permanent resident. Next, you apply for permanent resident through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) paper-based process. Read the Document Checklist Permanent Residence – Provincial Nominee Class and Quebec Skilled Worker to prepare documents that must accompany your application to Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). You then send all your documents to the Centralized Intake Office (CIO) – Sydney.

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship
Provincial Nominee Class
Centralized Intake Office
PO BOX 1450
Sydney, NS
B1P 6K5


Step 4. After the approval for permanent resident

If you are approved for permanent residence, you will receive:

  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR)
  • A permanent resident visa (if you’re from a country that requires a visa).
  • Letter with important information about your COPR and other requirements.


  • If you have already been in Canada, you have to make an appointment to IRCC office or border crossing entry to ensure your information is valid, and you are still eligible for permanent residence. Besides, you info your mail so that you can receive a permanent resident card (PR card).
  • If you have not been to Canada yet, then when you arrive in Canada, you will meet an officer from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). He or she will check your passport, your COPR, your information to make sure you are eligible to immigrate to Canada.


No fee for applying for the International Graduate stream. You just need to pay permanent resident process fees:

  • Your application with right of permanent residence fee: $CAD1,040
  • Your application without right of permanent residence fee: $CAD550
  • Include your spouse or partner with right of permanent residence fee: $CAD1,040
  • Include your spouse or partner without right of permanent residence fee: $CAD550
  • If you include dependent child: $CAS 150 per child
  • Biometrics (if you have not done before): $CAD 85 per person, maximum $CAD 170 for family
  • Medical checkups
  • Language tests
  • Police certificate
  • Other fees

How long does it take?

The approval for the NLPNP application can process for a month. Processing for permanent residence can last up to 19 months including the time for biometrics to receive the outcome. In total, it takes a maximum of 20 months to complete the whole application. Besides, you can experience delays if:

  • Your photocopies of the documents are unclear.
  • Verification of your information and documents takes more time than expected.
  • A medical condition that may need more tests or consultations.
  • A criminal or security problem.
  • Consultation is needed with other offices in Canada and abroad.


Leave a Reply

Related Stories

December 11, 2019

SWAP Working Holidays Brings A Great Way To Explore Canada

November 15, 2019

Jobs in Alberta – Opportunities for foreign workers

December 11, 2019

Prince Edward Island Immigration Lawyer – Support from an expert