Intra-Company Transfer is the program that helps multinational companies to transfer their employees to Canada to work. Regarding employees, it is an opportunity for them to experience new cultures, new lives and new things in their present jobs.
What is the Intra-Company Transfer?
Intra-Company Transfer is the program established by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to support international companies to transfer their important employees to Canada so that the companies can improve management effectiveness, expanding Canadian exports, and enhancing competitiveness in overseas markets.
Who is eligible for the Intra-Company Transfer program?
To be eligible for the program, you:
- Be currently employed by a multi-national company and seeking entry to work in a parent, a subsidiary, a branch, or an affiliate of that company.
- Have been working to that company for at least one year continuously in the same full-time position in the three-year period immediately preceding the date of initial application.
- Are being transferred to one of the three kinds of position:
- Specialized knowledge workers
What documents required to complete the application?
You and your employers should work together to collect all of the documents below:
- Confirmation that the person is working at this company at the moment but outside Canada, and seeking entry to work in a parent, subsidiary, branch, or affiliate of that enterprise in Canada.
- Confirmation that the foreign national has been employed (via payroll or by contract) continuously (full-time, not accumulated part-time) by the enterprise outside Canada, in a similar full-time position, for at least one year within the three-year period immediately preceding the date of initial application.
- Outline of the applicant’s position in an executive or managerial capacity or one involving specialized knowledge (like position, title, job description, place in the organization)
- If it is the case “specialized knowledge”, the evidence needed to show that the person has the knowledge that the position in Canada requires
- Outline of the work position in Canada (namely, position, title, place in the organization, job description)
- Indication of intended duration of stay
- The description which clarifies the relationship between the company outside Canada and the parent, subsidiary, branch, or affiliate of that enterprise in Canada.
The processing time
The Intra-Company Transfer processing time in Canada depends on the country where the applicant applies. You may receive the outcome very fast, just about a month, or you may have to wait for a year for the result.
How long can you live in Canada?
The maximum length of stay for managers or executives is seven years, while the maximum for specialized knowledge workers is five years. However, the documented time, either outside or inside Canada, is not counted, so you will have a full amount of time to live and work in Canada as permission.
Please note that in your initial work permit, the duration of stay is one year. After that, if you want to extend your work permit, you and the company must give proof that shows the qualifying relationship between the company inside and the company outside Canada, the one in Canada involved in producing products and services in the past year, and the Canada office has been staffed.
Get help with Intra-Company Transfer
If you have any questions or need assistance in preparing information for immigrating to Canada, please do not hesitate to contact us through Immilist to get help. Our website provides an amount of information related to working and immigration to Canada, including the Intra-Company Transfer, to help you understand clearly the program you apply.canada immigrationCanada immigration lawyerhow to immigrate to CanadaIntra-Company Transfer