The National Occupational Classification (NOC) code 8261 is for Fishing masters and officers
NOC skill type/level: Skill Level B
- Some secondary school education is usually required.
- One to two years of experience as a fishing vessel deckhand is required.
- Captains require one year of service as officer in charge of the watch.
- A Fishing Master’s Certificate is required for all occupations in this unit group.
- Marine Emergency Duties Certificate is required by Transport Canada.
- A valid Fishing Vessel Operator Certificate is required for all occupations in this unit group.
- A commercial fishing licence is required.
List of Job Titles for NOC 8261 – Fishing masters and officers
- Factory freezer trawler captain
- Fishing master
- Fishing vessel boatswain
- Fishing vessel bo’sun
- Fishing vessel captain
- Fishing vessel deck officer
- Fishing vessel first mate
- Fishing vessel master
- Fishing vessel mate
- Fishing vessel navigation officer
- Fishing vessel second mate
- Offshore fishing vessel captain
- Trawler captain