The National Occupational Classification (NOC) code 4312 is for Firefighters
NOC skill type/level: Skill Level B
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a college program in fire protection technology, fire science or a related field and a period of supervised practical training is usually required.
- Firefighting and emergency medical care training courses are provided and vary in length depending on the requirements of different fire departments or services.
- Certification for firefighters is compulsory in Nova Scotia, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, and Alberta, but voluntary, in Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories, and Nunavut.
- Experience as a volunteer firefighter may be an advantage.
- Physical agility, strength, fitness and vision requirements must be met.
- Several years of experience are required for senior firefighters, such as lieutenants and captains.
List of Job Titles for NOC 4312 – Firefighters
- Airport firefighter
- Communication service firefighter
- Crash firefighter
- Fire captain
- Fire department platoon chief
- Fire inspector
- Fire lieutenant
- Fire prevention officer
- Fire safety inspection firefighter
- Firefighter apprentice
- Firefighter lieutenant
- Industrial complex firefighter
- Industrial firefighter
- Shipboard firefighter
- Structural firefighter
- Training firefighter